Gateway Mapping Inc. (GMI) has supported the GIS effort for Davis & Weber Counties Canal Company (D&W) on a regular basis since 2005. GMI created a GIS to map and track the company’s secondary water system, which serves the cities of Clinton, West Point, Layton and Kaysville Utah. GMI built GIS data structures for D&W and created applications using ArcGIS and Spatial IM to track routine maintenance, call-outs and repairs. On-site GIS training was provided for company staff at the onset of the project, and GMI continues to provide support for D&W on a regular basis as the GIS is continuously enhanced, and GMI assisted D&W in adding the mapping and asset management of the company’s main canal system to the GIS. Most recently, GMI completed a project to provide D&W employees with web-based access to GIS data via mobile tablets and phones. Employees now manage work orders (both in the office and in the field) using GIS. Currently, a project is underway to incorporate D&W’s new metering system into GIS.
Project Highlights Include:
- Complete Mapping of secondary water infrastructure covering the cities of Clinton, West Point, South Weber, Layton and Kaysville, Utah
- Implementation of a full field-accessible asset management system including history tracking and reports
- Creation of a GIS-based work order system to simplify workflow and communication between office and field staff
- Setup of mobile/tablet GIS access, including an interactive work order system using ArcGIS Online
- Currently incorporating new secondary water metering system into GIS so employees can access water usage statistics and reports directly from web-based GIS